Monday 23 July 2012

Once upon a time in Spain

Once upon a time, there were two girls living in Auckland. They met by chance and instantly they bonded over their desire to travel the world. 


One came from New York 





The other, from Palmerston North.







Over many coffees and a bit of wine, it was one night suggested that the two girls should travel back to America for a fleeting visit. But the girl from Palmerston North wanted more. You see, she had been waiting for her chance, for her opportunity to leave New Zealand in search of bigger and better things. Travelling the world was in her blood and all she needed was a push. That push finally came and before she knew it, her plans to visit America had turned into a one way ticket to London. 














Months passed, and the girl from Palmerston North left her life behind and settled in London. Yet the two girls kept in contact. Soon after, the girl from New York told her that she too was embarking on her own journey and they could meet up. But where? 


With a quick click of the mouse and fifty pounds later, it was decided that they would meet in Spain, Barcelona no less. Who would have thought. 







In case you didn't know- that girl was me ( didn't see that coming did you!).







I had forgotten what it was like to be excited by a place. 


London to me, so very quickly became my home and a place that although I am quick to point out its flaws, deep down I truly love it. However, because I settled so quickly, I had forgotten what it was like to explore a new country, a new culture and a new language. It is funny to think that for years I dreamt about  how I would travel around the world, blogging as I did so, only to end up with a permanent job and a new life in London.

The moment my plane landed in Barcelona , all of those feelings of excitement returned. As we flew low over the Mediterranean, I could not help but be mesmorised by the beauty of where I was about to go. Spain.




To be honest, I was absolutely captivated by Barcelona. It was edgy yet beautiful and reminded me of Paris on Crack.  






































But before I get ahead of myself, I need to go right back to the beginning. Back to day one of my adventure....  

It all started with a plane full of students, an easy-jet flight, and a bottle of Lorazapam (kidding- sort of.. you all know I am a nervous flyer...) 

I found my self reunited with my old Auckland flatmate and together, we were ready to conquer Barcelona. 











No comments:

Post a Comment