Monday 2 April 2012

I gots to get me a job!





Job hunting. Don't you just love it? Being rejected time and time again, constantly checking your voicemail, having a mini panic attack when the phone rings. Just like dating really.


I always thought growing up that getting a job would be easy. You see, I had it in my head (and I'm sorry mum and dad, but I blame you for this), that I was special. That I was a bit of a catch and that any firm would be lucky to have me. Wrong. I was served a cold plate of reality when I got to University and realised that I was as special as the average Joe falling asleep next to me in class. If I was going to get a job, then I needed to set myself apart from the others and actually, dare I say it- work for it.



I still harboured the dream that when I graduated, everything would just happen for me. I would get poached by a top tier law firm or Parliament and woo them with my dedication to the job and charming personality. If I could just get my foot in the door, I figured that I would be okay. My foot is still waiting.



I guess I did get lucky in some ways, I mean I got a job straight out of University and I am really truly grateful for that. But boy did I face a lot of rejection. I still remember the first proper job I applied for. I put my blood, sweat and tears in to my curriculum vitae and cover letter - only to get an automated response thanking me for my time but- no thanks.
It is true what they say; the first cut is the deepest. I was pretty low there for a bit. But I picked myself up and continued to apply for any job that I thought I would be good at.
Fifty eight rejections later, it was safe to say that my skin had thickened somewhat. I am now in the phase that if I actually get an interview or any kind of positive response- it comes as a bit of a shock. Rejection sejmection I say. You can't get rid of me that easy.



Anyway, here I am again, in the position of applying for jobs, waiting by my phone, checking my emails every two seconds and constantly refreshing my inbox, to see if I have had any response. 



I have been lucky in the sense that I have managed to have some temporary work already which I am certainly grateful for. After all, every hour worked justifies a visit to Top Shop. I interviewed with Julia Ross Recruitment and I have to say, they have delivered me with results pretty quickly ( http://www.rosshumandirections.com ).



I went in and had an interview with Julia Ross Recruitment the day after I arrived in London- a Tuesday if I remember correctly. By Wednesday, they had found me some temporary work and on Thursday I was working. A week later, I was paid. They have been pretty good at getting me work and there are a few exciting opportunities on the cards. I don't want to jinx it but hopefully something more permanent will appear soon.



I don't want to name and shame but there are definitely a few agencies that have been a bit slack in the 'getting back to me' department. If any of you want any tips, please feel free to email me.



Right well I suppose I should tell you about the temporary work assignment that I was given for a few days last week. My first London job (tear).  It seems like a distant memory now... It was actually really fun and the perfect job to introduce me to London. I worked as a receptionist at a company located in the heart of Piccadilly Circus. Luckily for me, Piccadilly Circus is very easy to get to and I had no trouble using the underground to get there.



For three days, I got to be Waverley off Shortland Street and meet and greet every single person who entered the building. I was truly in my element as you all know that after a coffee (and even without) I can be quite a chatty person. It was also perfect because I know hardly anyone in London and I was able to use this job to start up a few conversations here and there in an attempt to befriend anyone who would give me the time of day. I ensured that every person that entered the building got at least a hello from me. If I felt as though they received my hello well, I would try to engage them in conversation. And you know what? I succeeded in befriending a few people and even found a place to live out of it. Not bad right?



No all in all I really enjoyed my time working at this company. Every single person I talked to was super friendly and eager to share their wisdom. I was really lucky to have met a nice group of people who made my first work experience in London a positive one. I would happily work there again, not for the job but certainly for the work environment.



Right I am sorry that there have been no photos in this entry and that, you have actually had to endure reading something I've written- with no distractions. I promise that my next blog will have minimal narration, maximum photos. Hopefully by the time I write to you all again, my phone will have rung, my inbox will be full and a job will be on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment