Saturday 31 March 2012

London town


After taking a few days to sort myself out, I decided that I needed to take advantage of my lack of employment free time and explore the streets of London. Sarah and I decided to hit the pavement and meet up with another fellow kiwi (Katie) in search of an adventure.


We started off in Bricklane where I was given a quick run down on the area. You see, apparently London has pockets of places that are considered the 'trendy' spots and where all the cool kids hang out. East London is supposedly this area and more specifically, Bricklane.





























Barbie graduated!























Well I am certainly no cool kid, but I can definitely see the attraction of the area. It was jammed pack full of all sorts and there were little market stalls everywhere. I was in heaven. We wandered around looking at all the stalls before deciding to grab a bite to eat. There was no end to the amount of choices. Thai, Indian, French, Mexican-you name it- they had it. And for a cheap and cheery price.


I started with an Indian samosa (one pounds thirty) and then finished up with the most scrumptious crepe. Délicieux. I sat in the sun eating my goodies and drinking proper coffee. Yes! Apparently Bricklane is home to the best coffee in London. I liked it so much that I actually had a couple. I have missed good coffee a lot while being over here. Not a long black in sight. Sorry London- you fail miserably in that department.






Decisions ..


























After stuffing ourselves with food and absorbing the free entertainment of Bricklane, Katie invited Sarah and I to have a few quiet drinks with some fellow kiwi girls. I eagerly accepted (you all know I am desperately recruiting in the friend department) and off we went.  We headed out in to the countryside and after what seemed like a lifetime on the train; we made it to Action Acton Town. Please excuse the photos. I wasn't wearing my glasses and got ridiculously excited because I thought that the town was called 'Action Town' not Acton Town. I even forced Sarah and Katie to take 'action' photos. They both didn't correct my mistake (bless them) and it wasn't until much later that I realised. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

















We made it to our destination and I have to say, I was really happy to hear the New Zealand accent coming from the balcony upstairs. I never thought I would say it, but I have to confess that it was quite comforting being amongst my own people. We all sat upstairs and had a few drinks and I was offered the advice of these girls who were nearing the end of their stay in the mighty city. They all assured me that I was going to fall hard for London. I hope that they're right.


More drinks were had and the next thing I knew, it had been decided that I was going to be taken out to the infamous 'walk-a-bout' in Shepherds Bush. Never again people- you hear? Never again. I felt like I was back in Dunedin. Do any of you remember Two Bears? It was exactly like that. Utter madness. I loved it.


No just joking- it was pretty feral. But I guess it was an experience and it had to be done. After a few hours of dancing and drinking, we decided to call it a night and Sarah and I headed home. All in all- it was a great adventure and a pretty fun Sunday night. Yes Sunday. I should point out one thing that I have noticed over here- people drink (and go out) on Sundays. I am sure that that is against the law or something. It just doesn't seem right. Still, as I always say, if you can't beat them, join them.






No comments:

Post a Comment